Monday 22nd June
Monday 22nd June
Good Morning Everyone! If you aren't returning to school today, don't worry - you can find home learning here!
As always - please remember to just manage what you can and take things at your own pace. There is no expectation that you need to complete absolutely everything, everyday.
Good Morning! Time to get active!
Start off your week by joining Buzz's Space Run.
- For added challenge you might like to time yourself, or compete with someone at home!
Click on the picture or follow this link... https://www.nhs.uk/10-minute-shake-up/shake-ups/buzz-lightyears-space-run
This week you are going to create your own story, based on the book 'There's a Dinosaur in my Bathtub!'
- Click on the picture to the right or follow this link to listen to the story being read aloud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm6r73PX2a4
Instead of re-writing this story, you are going to develop your own story over the next few days! It's a chance for you to use your imagination and get creative. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Create your character...
- Today you need to decide who or what you're going to have in your house. You can be as inventive as you like! Some examples might include: There's a penguin in my freezer, There's a crocodile in my bathtub, There's a tiger in my garden, There's a dragon in my cellar etc.
- Write your title at the top of the page.
- Draw a picture of the character and write a few sentences about them to begin your story.
- Open your story with the sentence 'There's a ________ in my _________!'
- Then add detail about this character, describing what they look like, their personality, what they like to eat and so on. Use the FANTASTIC lenses to help you focus ideas.
- Have a look at my example writing to the right for some ideas!
I have included a template for this week, if you'd like to use it. I've left a whole page for the character description on Monday, for Year 2 children to really expand their ideas and add detail. However, don't feel you need to fill the whole page! I've also included a picture box for you to illustrate each event in your story this week.
Remember correct punctuation, sentences that make sense, adjectives and conjunctions, and maybe even adverbs.
There's a Penguin in my Freezer!
There's a penguin in my freezer. Her name is Polly and she is such an adventurous penguin! She has pearly white feathers all over her body and jet-black feathers all over her back and wings. Polly's eyes are like tiny black beads with a thin white circle around them. She also wears rose-gold spectacles which perch precariously on the end of her nose. Unfortunately, Polly loses her glasses nearly every day because she is so busy diving and swimming and somersaulting!
Reading and Phonics
Year 1 and 2 - Click on the book 'Cyril and Pat' and complete the reading comprehension lesson from BBC Bitesize.
- Log on to Big Cat and read 'Mum, Meg and the Donkey' from Red B.
- Complete the comprehension activity at the end, ordering the pictures from the story.
- Remember your log in details are a generic school log in - see the picture to the right for how to log in.
- Remember to keep practising your Phase 3 sounds and Phase 4 sentence reading on Phonics Play.
Maths - Fractions!
This week we are delving into the delightful world of fractions! You have covered this in school but this week will be a chance to refresh your memory and practice this topic. I have included the curriculum objectives so that parents can see the National Curriculum expectations for Year 1 and 2.
Reception Class cover doubling and halving in this unit, but do not cover objectives beyond this. Further fractions work is introduced in Year 1. Therefore later in the week, Reception will have a slightly different topic.
Please find differentiated activities below, including explanations of what to do.
Reception and Year 1
I would like both R and 1 to complete this online lesson on doubling and halving. Year 1 this should be a refresher lesson but will support you with your fractions work for the rest of the week. Reception this should be a good next step after our previous work on doubling and halving.
Follow the link below to the lesson. Complete the activities at the end.
Year 2 - Complete the activities below. Remember to use practical objects or drawings if you need to.
Afternoon - Art
For your art task, I would like you to focus on drawing or painting skills.
- Imagine your writing this week is going to be turned into a book.
- Design a front cover for your story 'There's a Penguin in my Freezer' or whatever you decided on.
- Draw a large version of your character on the front cover. You might get some inspiration from 'Draw with Rob' http://www.robbiddulph.com/draw-with-rob
- Colour it or paint it as neatly as you can. Make your front cover eye-catching! You might like to go around the edge of your title in a thin black pen to make it stand out too.
Mindfulness / Well-Being
Every day we will give you a suggested mindfulness or well-being activity. This is just an idea and is optional.
- Enjoy this mindful moment from Springwatch. Listen to the sounds and focus on the pictures. Try not to talk throughout, and just listen and enjoy.
- Perhaps you could create your own mindful moment by sitting in the garden or in a local area to enjoy the sounds of nature.